25 Jan Success Story: Michelle Payne
In both her personal and professional life, Michelle has always connected strongly with people and their stories. As a life coach, Michelle supports her clients to embrace their full potential.
Strong enough to hold you accountable, yet compassionate enough to support you along the way, Michelle will bring out your best and celebrate the authentic you.
What kind of presenting do you do at work?
- One on one coaching
- Personal development workshops to small groups 10-20.
- Guest speaking to small groups 30-50
- Facilitation of women’s circles discussing self esteem, self care, healthy boundaries and other connection and communication based issues
What prompted you to study with Michelle? i.e. what was the reason you decided you needed to make the move and work with her?
I bought Michelle’s book “How To Present” a few years ago and began following her. It was an intuitive thing at first, I felt she was the woman I wanted to learn from. I was attracted to the fact that she was comfortable in her skin and confident to be herself with the pink lipstick, the flash of colour and her vibrant outgoing personality.
Much of my life I was hiding those aspects of me, thinking it was what had to be done in the business world. Michelle in a way, gave me permission to shine out and be truly authentic which is what my business (VAST Life Coaching) and my message to others is all about. It made sense to work with her. What’s her secret for healthy and glowing skin? Well, find them here!
When I started to consider her teaching style and the content, I discovered how structured and “step by step” her process was. I knew it was going to be exactly what I needed to help me create the workshops I had in my head and heart.
It was time to take my self taught/homegrown presentation style to a new level. I needed a program that would give me the skills and confidence to create workshops with a more structured and specific plan and that is what I have been provided through Michelle’s program.
How did Michelle’s teaching change your attitude to presenting in business?
Michelle’s teaching has changed my attitude in many ways. It has also catapulted my confidence and belief in my ability much faster than I had expected. I now know that when I plan and do the required prep-work, I can present in front of anyone. My concept of what nerves are has shifted, allowing me to believe that anything is possible.
In general, what positive outcomes have you achieved from improving your presentation skills? i.e. what opportunities have opened up for you? How have improved presentation skills have impacted on your job and your career in general?
I’m confident to say yes to all and any opportunities now, knowing that I have the 13 steps taught by Michelle to follow. I feel different about things. Like how many people are in the room, and not questioning that my message is being conveyed if I follow the format and training. I know that if am capturing the varying personalities and learning styles in the room, my message will be received. I acknowledge that for me its all about the planning and doing the prep-work.
I feel supported and know that I can reach out to Michelle if I need it… Its incredible how generous and giving she is, even when the program is over.
I’m more confident in many areas of my life with these new strategies and my awareness has shifted with what “persuasive” actually is and how it is a positive thing.
In what specific ways have your presentation skills improved since learning with Michelle?
- I trust myself and my content, self-belief in general has expanded
- I confidently follow the steps taught by Michelle and believe a brilliant outcome will happen. It’s a science that anyone can learn.
- It can be a quick and flowing process (I once thought it was tedious and drawn out, it was me getting distracted without a process to follow and self-doubt)
- I enjoy myself and have fun with it.
- I use my natural core personality to create my own unique style.
- I connect with my audience (well before the presentation begins if possible i.e.. in my advertising and social media)
What were your top three take aways from Michelle’s teachings?
- Connect first / create interesting stories and be real
- Don’t overload with content / key points done really well will be remembered
- Don’t skip the steps in early presentation planning / 13 steps every time makes life easier