Jot Mehta is a solicitor advocate prosecuting serious criminal charges in NSW. He engages in regular conferences with stakeholders trying to negotiate appropriate pleas of guilty. He also regularly appears in criminal trials before a judge and jury making persuasive legal arguments and presenting complex, and at times distressing facts, to prosecute the case.
What did Jot say after attending Michelle’s Persuasive Presentation Skills Masterclass?
“Very enjoyable and worthwhile. I loved that it was crammed with practical knowledge. Plenty of opportunity to practice. Great program to structure future presentations.”
What kind of presenting do you do at work?
I mainly present to juries, 12 members of the general public who have no previous knowledge of the case or witnesses. I am engaging with them to explain the significance of each piece of evidence, suggesting to them the appropriate weight they should attach to the evidence and how they should interpret the evidence.
What prompted you to study with Michelle?
- Despite having a lot of experience I was having difficulty competing for the type of work I was really interested in doing. I needed to be more persuasive and engaging to translate that experience into the capacity to take on further challenges.
- I needed to learn more strategies to help me connect with and engage with my audience in court.
- I wanted to learn how to ensure my message is always clearly articulated and presented so as to be a persuasive advocate.
How did Michelle’s teaching change your attitude to presenting in business?
It provided a structure to ensure my message would be communicated coherently and effectively so as to influence my audience. It also provided very useful technical tips on the power of the words you use, as well as physically communicating the message through posture.
In general, what positive outcomes have you achieved from improving your presentation skills?
- I was successful in gaining the position I applied for in a highly competitive recruitment process after completing the masterclass.
- There has been positive feedback about the presentation of my messages since completing the masterclass.
In what specific ways have your presentation skills improved since learning with Michelle?
- I feel more comfortable about presenting.
- I have found engaging with the audience and communicating a structured message to them that they can relate to builds confidence in both the presenter and the audience.
What were your top three take aways from Michelle’s teachings?
- Focus on your audience and structure your message to suit them, clearly and effectively addressing objections and concerns.
- Practice, edit, practice, edit, practice….
- Maintain the verbal and physical conversation from the initial icebreaker to your closing statement.