23 Jun STOP that BLUSHING – you’re embarrassing me!
If you are someone who blushes at the thought of blushing Wikipedia says the following about blushing: “Some people are overly sensitive to emotional stress. Given a stimulus such as embarrassment, the person’s sympathetic nervous system will cause blood vessels to open wide, flooding the skin with blood and resulting in reddening of the face. In some people, the ears, neck and upper chest may also blush. As well as causing redness, blushing can sometimes make the affected area feel hot.”
Can you relate to that?
I work with people who are so worried about blushing that they blush!
If this is you or a friend, here are some tips for you to use or pass on:
- Exercise prior to the presentation.
- Try some meditation or listen to a calming CD like Paul McKenna’s, ‘I can control your stress’.
- Wear a colour that doesn’t emphasise your reddening face.
- Stop caring about the blushing – the more you fuss, the worse it’s going to get!
- Switch your focus from yourself and your embarrassment to your audience and their needs – look them in the whites of their eyes and remember you are here for them not you!