Rachel Carter is a fun, fit, healthy, inspirational and strong-minded business/sales leader who is so passionate about ‘TRUE’ leadership. She has zero time for ego’s! She’s known for balancing IQ with EI and challenging her people to set high standards and achieve success. Rachel loves learning new things everyday and thrives on achieving results.
What kind of presenting do you do at work?
I present in a variety of situations:
– Live team meeting presentations, conferences.
– Virtually via Zoom.
– Company-wide presentations known as Town halls.
– Customer presentations.
– Interviews for PR and with Media.
– Awards nights (accepting and giving).
What prompted you to study with Michelle?
I really wanted to finesse my skills and make a bigger impact. Prior to Michelle’s training I was an ‘ok’ presenter, but ‘ok’ is not memorable. I wanted to be memorable for all the right reasons! I wanted to learn tips to have a bigger impact and I wanted to master the ability to calm my nerves and know what to do with any extra energy I was feeling.
How did Michelle's teaching change your attitude to presenting in business?
I now have:
– A calmer and more confident approach.
– A more interactive way to engage with my audience.
– A more ‘ready’ approach which means I have confidence, clearer content, powerful messages and I’m memorable.
In general, what positive outcomes have you achieved from improving your presentation skills?
1. I have been able to achieve much better results at our conference which is so important as I need to set the tone, pace and expectations of the National Sales Team. Plus, I present more at company-wide events and I even made an impromptu speech at our Christmas party for 100+ attendees and I just followed Michelle’s flow and tips, whites of eyes, positioning, hand gestures and nailed it!
2. Michelle’s tips have also helped with COVID-19 changes. We moved to delivering 3 x virtual meetings a week with 30+ attendees where I took on a TV/News presenter approach. I now know how to keep the content flowing and interesting. I have been able to deliver each of these meetings with the clarity and compassion that is needed thanks to my confidence after Michelle’s masterclass.
3. All round I now feel more comfortable and confident in speaking in any forum – verbal and non-verbal.
In what specific ways have your presentation skills improved since learning with Michelle?
– Overall confidence that I’m following the formulas that work.
– I have learnt to position my body and stance throughout my presentation and use by stagecraft and presence to my advantage.
– I never ever thank people at the end now! (I used to). What I now know is that they should be thanking me! This approach works for extra confidence and drives the credibility that a good presentation deserves.
What were your top three take-aways from Michelle's masterclass?
– How to best structure your speech, (or email) to ensure a good flow and captivate the audience. This ensures your key messages resonate with your audience.
– The importance of where you stand whilst presenting – this can make or break the impact you make. Where and how you stand has to reinforce your message.
– Look into the whites of your audiences’ eyes. This really ensures engagement. It also allows you to connect properly and to pace yourself.
I need a 4th😊
– Everyone feels the feeling that some people call ‘nervous’ (red face, thumping heartbeat, sweaty palms), it’s what to do with that energy that makes all the difference to you, your audience and your message. Be sure to reframe the word and not call it nervous anymore!