04 Mar MTA Travel
Hello MTA! Woo hoo! We had a great session together!
Here are some reminder tips for you!
Be clear on your goals
- The aim of a pitch is to influence your stakeholder/client to change their thinking or behaviour.
- The 5-Step Analysis model will fast-track the design of an effective, influential pitch.
- Start by working out your topic. Your topic is the content area on which you will speak. It is broad in nature.
- Once you have your topic, it’s time to work out your goal. A goal is a statement of what you want to achieve. It is completely focused on you and what you want. Goals generally begin with the words, ‘To convince’.
- From the goal you can flip your pitch so it is customer-focused. You do this by working out your purpose. Your purpose is the customer-focused version of your goal. It is your goal (which is presenter-focused) stated from your audience’s perspective.
- Your purpose will help you decide on your leading statement. Your leading statement is your key message. It’s the thing you really want your customer to believe.
- Your customer will be thinking, feeling and doing something as they sit down in your pitch. We call this their current state.
- Every time you pitch, you want your customer to think, feel and do something. We call this your desired state.
- Your role is to shift the customer from their current to your desired state.
- If you take the time to get to know the customer, you will feel much more confident in your delivery of your pitch.
- The Think/Feel/Do model is a valuable customer analysis tool to use in the preparation stage of your pitch.
STRUCTURE YOUR MESSAGE
- Make sure you use an customer-focused rather than presenter-focused model for structuring your pitch.
- Use the four questions that form the basis of Dr Bernice McCarthy’s 4Mat System when structuring your pitch.
- The questions are Why?, What?, How? and What if? or What else?
- When you use these questions to structure your pitch, you will find your message is more thorough and you will be more likely to address the needs of all your customer members, every time.
If you’d like more free tips for successful pitching from me, please subscribe to my monthly e-zine called How to Present: https://michellebowden.com.au/subscription/