21 Feb Effective Presentation Skills and Public Speaking Tips
Posted at 09:57h in Free Tips
Here are 10 public speaking tips to help you so that so that the next time you speak you do an excellent job and feel great!
- Pay attention to logistics. Set-up your room properly, know how to use the microphone and the PowerPoint.
- Analyse your audience. Make sure everything you say and do is completely in line with what ‘they’ need to hear and see you do in order to change their thinking or behaviour.
- Rehearse. There is no substitute for rehearsing parts of your speech over and over until the words flow easily. But don’t rote learn it – your brain won’t handle it.
- Be funny. Public speaking provides you with the chance to entertain your audience. Find something that they find amusing and do it!
- Manage difficult audience behaviour. There are lots of things you can do to facilitate the group dynamics in a positive way that support the individuals whilst maintaining the good of the group.
- Be yourself and let them ‘know’ you. Create rapport by telling your audience about yourself. My audiences love to know I have three little girls! And always make the personal details link to your content – otherwise it’s a story for the sake of a story.
- Feel it. What do you want your audience to feel? Make sure you feel it too!
- Use props or slides that help you make your point. They can break up the presentation and make you more interesting.
- Bring solutions. If you’ve researched your audience well, it should be easy to bring needs-based solutions to their problems. People listen to speakers who can solve their problems!
- Call your audience to action. What do you want them to ‘do’ with your information? Make sure you are explicit about this – so people know exactly how to change as a result of your message.
These 10 tips will help you be audience focused and on message – which is just what your audience is hoping for!
Happy Presenting! Mx