(from Michelle Bowden’s virtual keynote presentation called Virtually Compelling for Clearview Wealth Limited on March 3rd 2021)
Didn’t we have such fun? It was my honour to present this fabulous model to help you help your clients. Here are the top 15 points from our chat today:
1. We present (persuade and influence) our family members, friends, clients, patients, colleagues and managers every day of our life. Our days and filled with negotiating, finding compromise, updating, advising, selling, influencing and persuading.
2. Most people forget that we are actually influencing people all the time, so they treat their communication scenarios like informal conversations and don’t analyse their audience, prepare their message, and they definitely don’t take the time to rehearse. They are likely to ‘wing it’!
3. Expert communicators analyse their stakeholder, prepare their messages and even rehearse the delivery so they increase their chances of success.
4. Expert communicators get into their stakeholder’s shoes and build strong rapport so they can present meaningful, needs based solutions. Expert communicators know how to design, persuasive, powerful, memorable messages and as a result, expert communicators hear the word ‘yes’ more often in their life.
5. There are 3 phases to a persuasive presenting in business: Analysis; Design; Delivery.
6. Without some thorough analysis it’s possible you won’t be clear about what you really want to achieve. And it’s also possible that you won’t get into the shoes of your stakeholder and really understand where you are shifting them from and to, and this might mean you are an ineffective communicator.
7. “It’s not about me, it’s all about the audience”. It’s not about what you want to say or the way you want to say it, it’s not about how you want to stand, sit or move your body, and it’s definitely not about the PowerPoint slides you want to show. It’s all about your stakeholder and what they need to hear from you in order to understand your message and change their behaviour accordingly. Understand this and you’ll never be ‘nervous’ or lacking confidence as a communicator again.
8. 4Mat is the model for crafting a message so it sticks in your audience’s mind and they are compelled to take the action you require.
9. 4Mat addresses the 4 x virtual questions in your audiences’ mind: Why? What? How? What if?/What else?
1o. There are three main types of objections: content, personal and logistics. It’s best to manage most objections BEFORE they are raised.
11. You can also manage objections at the time they are raised. We manage objections with the POO technique. POO stands for: Pacing Out Objections.
12. There are 5 steps to the POO technique: state the objection; say ‘and’, ‘so’ or pause and say nothing, then say ‘actually’ or ‘in fact’, lead to a solution, and finally use the clever word ‘because’ with a meaningful reason.
13. Be careful you don’t say, ‘But’, ‘However’, ‘Alternatively’, ‘Although’ because they all negate what you have just said and activate the fight/flight response in the stakeholder and incite them to fight you! Choose to say “and”, “so”, or just pause and say nothing.
14. Look into the camera, not at people’s faces when presenting online.
15. Make sure your gestures are right up near your face on zoom.
I know you know this, it’s not rocket science, so take the time to plan your meetings and important conversations in advance, analyse your performance at the conclusion of every meeting and continuously strive to be an expert communicator who masters the craft of persuasive communication.
Happy Presenting! Mx
FREE TIPS. For more free tips on persuading, presenting, and communicating at work go to www.michellebowden.com.au and subscribe to my FREE ezine called How to Present.
BOOK. You can gift yourself a copy of my best selling book called, How to Present: the ultimate guide to presenting your ideas and influencing people using techniques that actually work (Wiley) from my shop
WANT TO ASSESS YOUR PERSUASIVE STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES? Assess yourself here
Please also connect to me on LinkedIn
© Michelle Bowden is an authority on presentation & persuasion in business. Michelle is a CSP (the highest designation for speakers in the world), creator of the Persuasion Smart Profile® (a world-first psychological assessment tool that reports on your persuasiveness at work), best-selling internationally published author (Wiley), and a regular commentator in print, radio and online media. Visit Michelle’s website here: www.michellebowden.com.au